Friday, January 6, 2012

It's like the first day of middle school

I have butterflies about tomorrow! Tomorrow is really the first time that someone outside of the family (read: a stranger) has ever coached/evaluated Granite under saddle. I'd say its like the first day of kindergarten jitters, but I think it's worse. It's like Granite is going to middle school after being home schooled all of his life. Not only will this woman tell me what she thinks about my horse, but she can also tell me that all the work I have done with him hurt him and didn't help him.

Also, I have so many questions. We haven't had any pre-lesson chat. Does she like her students to ride in breeches or jeans? Should I carry a crop or use my spurs, or nothing? If a crop, does she like a bat or a dressage whip like Jen preferred us to use. Should I use the flash bridle I've been riding in, or switch out to a plain noseband? Bah. I know I am overthinking it, but I want to make a good impression. I don't want her to think that I've never had any formal instruction, but I also want her to know that I am open to guidance (assuming I like her and agree with her philosophy).

Anyhoo, I guess all I can do is go out there and be honest about Granite and myself and hope that she will end up making a good addition to our team! Plus, I think the pre-show jitters are part of what I used to love about competing. This is sort of the same, just cheaper, so I'll take it!

I went to visit the boy tonight after work. It was just getting dark but the moon was high and almost full and they sky was clear, so I ran a brush over the filthy thing and picked his hooves then threw my helmet and his bridle on and hurried out to the arena for a little bareback ride. It was nice. It hurt my back like no tomorrow. But he was cooperative and we even cantered some (have you seen his canter? phew. I may be sore tomorrow). It was a nice way to unwind at the end of the week.








3 comments:

  1. So exciting!! Outside feedback is so interesting, especially when you don't get a lot of it.

    I vote use what you need on him and have a reason for it. Hard to object to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess your evaluation has probably already happened, so my "good luck" will be a little late, but I'm willing to bet you and Granite were great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear how your lesson went. I'm sure it was just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete