Monday, January 18, 2010

Another Amazing Day at the Barn

Do you remember CG, an ex boyfriend from this time last year? Well we hung out last night (with my roommate and her bf too). We had a great time, until I came home and discovered that Daphne has apparently evolved and grown thumbs. She escaped from her kennel (where she stays if I have to leave her home alone). She then proceeded to chew a approximately 3 square foot whole in the carpet at the seam at the bedroom door. I cried and cried because this was the third time she has destroyed carpet (at my old apartment, my parent's house, and now this apartment). I just don't know what to do with my dog anymore. Her separation anxiety is getting ridiculous. She is over protective and down right insane when I am gone. People suggest training, but Petsmart isn't going to teach her not to be nuts. Does anyone have any advice?? I just don't know what to do with her anymore. I love her so much. D volunteered to take her, basically permanently. I just don't know how I can take that adorable little puppy (see above photo taken at 6 weeks) whom I promised to protect and take care of and just give her to someone else to "deal" with. FRUSTRATED!

So after a horrible evening and depressing morning (a run and yoga workout did not even help to clear my mood), I headed to the barn. CG went with me because he has never seen Lil Aspen Farm and hasn't seen Granite in 6 months. He and Granite used to be pretty tight. He fed him for two weeks for me when I was recovering from surgery this Spring. He also helped build Granite's shelter at D's farm. Hes a real A+ guy. Anyway, he came with me to the barn and was SO impressed with Granite's progress. His first trainer Cynthia really did an amazing job with his ground manners.

I took Granite out and lunged him. Then I added the side reins again. He was spectacular although a bit sluggish (Becky {owner of Lil Aspen and the woman who will be getting Granite under saddle} said that he may be part Elephant).










So then I decided to get back on him. It was a complete non-issue. I got on and off multiple times even making sure to brush my leg over his butt to see how we reacted (he didn't).


After getting on him multiple times, Becky offered to lead me and Granite around the round pen (he obviously doesn't know the cues to move on or stop). He walked VERY slowly but he was completely agreeable to the whole process. I could not have been more proud of him!

(He still just wants to nibble my boot.)

(Doesn't he look thrilled?)

(He is getting LOTS of pats from mom. And Becky was so encouraging. I can't wait for her to ride him!)

Needless to say, my day got much better. CG even has a friend who has agreed to fix my carpet for less than 100 dollars, so I won't have to worry about a huge damage fee when I move out, and I won't have to deal with an unsightly carpet. I still don't know what to do with my dog and I can still barely make my bills, but I can see the light in the long wait to ride my horse, and it makes it all OK.

5 comments:

  1. He seems like a calm sort - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are looking good! AS far as the dog woes I hear yah! Stella has calmed down now but it took SEVERAL years before I could trust her outside of a kennel. I don't know what your routine is with her at all but these are the two things that helped me. More exercise. and Reading Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor. :) I hope this helps and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two puppies have to stay in kennels while I'm gone because they get into all kinds of mischief on their own. I don't know what to do about separation anxiety, though. I hope you figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pictures and yay on the CG developments :) Sorry about the pooch, maybe get a new kennel that you can add a lock or d-clip (like the clips you use to hang horse buckets) so she cant free herself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Just saw your comment on my blog (yes, I am a little slow). And, wow, your boy is gorgeous! Then again, I have an extreme bias because I absolutely adore greys. It looks like you lucked out and found one that's cute and quiet, which is hard to find.
    As for the pup, I would get her as much exercise as possible. Aussies are very high-energy dogs and need lots and lots of running around. If you have time, I would even try agility training. And while Petsmart is probably not the answer, I'm sure a professional dog trainer could help give you some more ideas. Maybe ask your local vet for a reference. Also, clicker training is an awesome tool for both dogs and horses!Good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete