Monday, August 30, 2010

Sick Puppy

I went out to check on the big Grey Man on Saturday (my first available time since Tuesday; my life sucks). He was worse off and I immediately made my decision that there would be no trail ride! Both nostrils have green/yellow discharge and he is now coughing at the stand still. He was eating alright and acting like himself, so that was encouraging, but not the deterioration of the respiratory/sinus issues. I went to the barn yesterday and found him no better and no worse. I groomed him and talked to him for a while (willing him to get better) then put him back out in the pasture.

Reno's mystery cough (diagnosed as allergies) is gone, but now the other horse (an arab mare) in the pasture has started to cough. This has me thinking the horses have clearly caught something.

I emailed Becky asking is she thought we should A) administer the oral antibiotic I have, B) administer the antibiotic injections that D has or C) call the vet. She suggested that we bring him inside during the day so that his body could put all of its effort into healing and not into keeping cool. We have the fan on him and will hose him. We have started him on the oral antibiotics and plan to call the vet for a phone consult. If things get worse or the vet recommends, I guess we will be having him out this week.

This is NOT what I need right now (or ever, because I hate to see my boy not feeling well). My BIG interview is tomorrow (50% chance of a huge opportunity/ lifestyle change). I also have our Town Council meeting this week, a doctor's appointment and 2 nights of waiting tables. I'm grateful that Becky is around to care for Granite and to be there for the vet if need be.

I'm just trying to hold on for dear life until payday and the weekend.

Thoughts, Positive Vibes, Prayers, Wishes, Etc are requested.

Thanks!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like an infection - if it's viral antibiotics won't help unless there's a follow-on bacterial infection. Could be a flu/rhino thing - are your horses vaccinated for that - ours are 2x year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. He is UTD on all his vacs. The fall versions are due in the end of September.

    If he doesn't respond to our at-home therapies, he will certainly be treated by the vet (who I pray will bill me!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about Granite being sick. Hopefully this is something that can be cleared up quickly. DO you have a place to quarantine the sick horses? If it is viral it can easily spread through the herd and be difficult to get under control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with everything! You're having quite the week (which you certainly didn't need me to tell you.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I feel like that is the BO's call. The property is large and Granite, Reno and the Arab mare are on quite a few acres and don't interact with any other horses. I'm sure she could be even more cautious in rearranging the horses, but like I said, she knows whats going on and thats her call.

    Yikes, I hope this isnt viral! ahhhh---- stressss. Poor Ponies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, poor baby! I hope it clears up quickly. Good luck on the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Granite!

    Does he have a fever or seem lethargic at all? Is he eating ok? I think the yellow/green stuff usually inidcates a bacterial infection, whereas clear is more likely viral. Hopefully he just has a cold since he's been vaccinated for everything else!

    I hope he's feeling better soon! Good luck with the interview, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He has a fever of 104. We arent brining him in the barn as to not infect anyone else. The vet told us to put him on bute and 5 days on antibiotics. If he isnt any better the vet wants to come out and determine an alternate course of action from there. G looks unhappy and it breaks my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd take his temp for sure. I'd also consider strangles since he's young and it sounds like you have considerable discharge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes! It's always scary when your baby is sick and you can't figure out why. Lots of jingles from Panache and I!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geez, Rachel. He will get better, but I hope it's sooner rather than later! The good news is that he is getting care and people are looking out for him. I wish you best of luck with your interview. Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sad! I hope he gets better quickly.

    ReplyDelete